Monday, June 14, 2010

My kid said what?

So you never know what's going to come out of your child's mouth, and I always thought I would be the mom who had the best behaved children who always say the right things (I know...what the heck was I thinking?) I was reliving a moment that happened a couple of months ago and had to share it.
Grace was in the bathtub with her brother and one of my friends was in there watching them. Everything was going as usual...Grace squirts Gabe in the face with a squirtgun, Gabe then gets mad and pinches her which then makes Grace scream (in a very high annoying girl scream) and squirts him more, which then starts a whole water war in the bathtub that usually ends up needing more than one towel to clean it up. After things started to quiet down a bit Grace then proceeded to say this, "Girls have a giant (she gets confused with that one) and boys have a junk." Anyone laughing yet? Now I did NOT teach her that word, nor do I ever encourage her to say it. It came out of her dad's mouth one time when she accidentally kicked him in the, well, junk. We do teach her the correct names for female and male anatomy, but apparently it's more fun to say other versions. My first reaction when she said that was, "My kid said what???" And then, after I got over the shock and embarrassment of having "that child," I busted out laughing which actually made my whole day better.
Before I had kids I always had an opinion of what kind of what kind of a mother I would be, and therefore what my kids would be like. I wasn't going to be that mom who took their kids to the store with a messy face and clothes. Well, I've done that so I guess I'm now THAT mom. I was never going to raise my voice at my kids because having a teaching degree I always thought there were alternative ways to get their attention. And there are, sometimes. Well, I've definitely raised my voice at my kids so I guess I'm THAT mom also. And I wasn't going t o have kids that said inappropriate things at inappropriate times. Well, it's pretty obvious that I'm THAT mom as well. So I've learned a few things (a few hundred thousand things). Being a mom isn't clean, nor is it pretty all the time. It's unpredictable most days, and embarrasing sometimes, and you just have to deal with is as it comes and figure out some sort of life lesson that goes with it. Ideals change, expectations fail, and if you're a mom, you're definitely going to have those moments when you think to yourself, "My kid said what?"

2 comments:

  1. Ha sooo true! I've definitely had hundreds of moments when I'm like- I'm THAT mom? Wow.. I so am sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it everyday... YES I am "NOW THAT MOM" funny how that all works!

    ReplyDelete