Sunday, June 13, 2010

Two months of single-mommyhood

So as many of you know, My hubby David is in Germany for two months. He's in the Minnesota Air National Guard as a flight nurse and got deployed over there. He flies in these huge planes and they go and get patients that need to be transferred to different hospitals. He assured me that they wouldn't be flying into the desert that much....maybe once or twice. Yeah. Try twice a week. So I try not to think about it that much but it's hard because I'm a single mom who stays home with my kids which means I virtually never get a break. I have to deal with all kinds of stuff that would be so much easier to deal with if he was home. Last year he was gone also for a couple months for some training. That was when Grace decided to throw up all over my face in the middle of the night. Yep, you heard me....in my eyes and everything. That's the kind of thing I don't want to have to deal with by myself. If David was there, he could have gotten me something to wipe up with, but instead I had to walk to the bathroom with my eyes closed (because there was puke all over) with my hands out trying to feel where I was. Awesome. This time there hasn't been anything to that degree; just the little things like getting locked out of my house with my friends and their kids all outside (with no cell phones) and having to use a power screwdriver (which I've never used before) take off my bedroom window and then proceed to try and put it back on. Just little things like that. Oh, and the other day when both my kids decided to have meltdowns at the same exact time in the grocery store. That was fun. It's situations like those that would be much easier to deal with if David was home. But, he's not...and I'm sick of dwelling on the negative's of the situation. So I decided to write down all of the positive's to this situation...because there are a few.
#1. I get to park in the middle of the garage. I didn't realized how crammed I felt when both of our vehicles were in there. It's very freeing.
#2. Along with #1, I also get to sleep in the middle of the bed which I realize I love. I crawl in and sprawl out as wide as I can get. I usually end up diagonally in the bed. Sometimes I'm completely upside down.
#3. There's nobody to make fun of me in the morning after a night of me sleep-talking. He never let's me forget the time I saw bigfoot, or when I started"making cookies" at the end of the bed. He never let's anyone else forget about them too.
#4. My bed is virtually fart-free. Yes, I just said the "F" word in my blog. I'm sorry, but men are smelly, and even though I try to set a "no farting in bed" rule, it seems to never hold up. It's nice to go to bed in peace, and with good smells in my nose.

So while there are lot's of negative thing's that I can dwell on about this situation, I'm going to keep thinking of the positives and pray he comes home in one piece. I can survive getting puked on, or being Macgyver (sp?) for a day. I will survive the baby meltdowns my kids have and anything else that comes my way.....at least I think.
I'm so proud of you babe and I love you!

5 comments:

  1. I started laughing out loud when I read about Grace puking in your face...even though I know the story.....

    You only have a short time left without Dave - You're almost there! And then you can hand off the babies and go on a vaca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am staying home with a 3 year old and 2 week old. Jared is home sometimes but gone most, I have so much respect for you and any other stay at home moms! Bless you all!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Sarri! Thanks for serving here at home while David is serving in Germany. You are doing a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Sarri! Good place to get stuff outta your brain, off your chest, and put things in perspective. Keep writing.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Just thought I'd let you know that even though I have a bed to myself, I still sleep on my side. It just feels right. Guess I've gotten used to sleeping next to you the past 6.5 years, and am looking forward to many many more of those years sleeping next to you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete